Today I have a post that’s very different from what I’ve ever done before on the blog….but here we go! 😀
As I mentioned in some previous posts, that last few weeks have been hectic with what we call….
….The County Fair!
It’s a ball, and every year I have loads of fun making an outfit for the fashion show and sometimes as a costume for the talent show, too! 🙂
This year, I made a cosplay of Rapunzel from Disney’s Tangled (because I’m a nerd of the highest proportions 😉 ), and while I’m excited to share with you all how I made the dress, too, today I’m going to be sharing how I made my light-up wig! 😀
Here’s a sneak peek at the final product! 🙂
First up, the base wig. I ordered THIS wig from Ebay, and I think for the price it was exactly what I needed!
BIG NOTE: The wig came with rubber bands strategically placed down its length, and I DID NOT remove these until it was absolutely necessary. Otherwise, things would have gotten very, VERY tangled. (ba dum chhhh 😉 )
Next, I used quilt batting and golden yellow netting to create large tubes to wrap the hair around. I pinned as I rolled the quilt batting, then added the net and stitched with doubled thread for extra strength.
(Excuse the Star Trek blanket in the background….ahem. 😉 )
Next up, I put on the wig, swung all of the hair around the the front of the wig, and had my mum help me sew the tubes onto the back base of the wig cap.
She sewed two down…..
….then overlapped the third one in the center.
At this point, you probably feel like some chick from Star Wars, but not to worry, these weird, golden tails will soon transform into gorgeous glowing magical hair! 😀
Next up, I had my mom hold the wig while I VERY carefully snipped the rubber bands on the wig and combed out the whole thing, being super, super careful not to pull too hard.
Next, I separated out a small section on either side of the wig at the front, and braided these pieces all of the way down. Later, these will be what we use to wrap the giant braid!
At this point, I also used some scraps of yarn I had lying around to section off the rest of the wig into three separate pieces with the tubes.
Here’s me braiding! 😉
At this point, it really helps to have someone that I call Heada.
This is Heada. She’s a head. 😉
I got her at Hobby Lobby, I think, and she’s really helpful, especially because she has a hole in her neck that is really good for putting a PVC pipe into to hold the wig while you work.
I just happened to have a PVC pipe covered in polka dot wrapping paper, so…. 😉
Now I undoubtedly felt like I was in a marching band and carrying some sort of weird hair-baton, but not to worry, things are coming along quickly. 😉
Here you can see I sectioned off the hair the rest of the way down and tied it to the tubes with yarn.
Oh, and about those bangs….we’ll take care of those in a bit. 😉
Next, get out your big-girl muscles, ’cause we’re gonna braid these giant tubes! 😉
Just imagine that you’re these girls. 😉
Now, if you want your wig to light up like I did, then you will need some light strands. I bought small LED lights at Christmas, and saved them for this project. I ended up using three strands, one for each piece of the braid. I made a small canvas bag to put the battery packs of the lights in, and the bag ended up going at the nape of my neck, under the fabric of my dress. 🙂 As you can see here, I kept my yarn loops tied around the braid pieces, and wrapped the hair to cover as much of the tubing as possible. I actually didn’t braid the lights directly, though…I braided the tubes, then came back with spray-painted yellow bobby pins to pin the lights exactly where I wanted them. 🙂
Here’s me grinning like a dork. 😉
As you can see from the side, we’re getting some bald spots, and lots of showing wires from the lights….but we’re gonna fix that with FLOWERS. 😉
I made a ton of flower pins by using an upholstery needle to poke a hole in the base of the fake flowers large enough to stick a bobby pin through. 😉
After I took this picture, I cut the yarn loops and kept sticking the wig full of flowers until I realized I was ready for baby’s breath.
Rapunzel has a ton of baby’s breath in her hair in the movie, but I couldn’t find any fake BB in the store that I liked…the first bunch I got was actually just a bunch of tiny styrofoam balls, and they looked awful.
I ended up buying dried baby’s breath at Michael’s crafts, and it look awesome! It looked WAY more delicate than the fake stuff…but it was still preserved and wouldn’t rot on my head. 😉
For the bangs, I twisted sections of to the side and fastened them with flowers. 🙂
Ready to see the final product? Here ya go! 😀
Here’s me with my flute in line to perform! 🙂
I’m really happy with the dried baby’s breath!
“BEST. DAY. EVER!!!!!!!” 😉
“I CAN’T BELIEVE I DID THIS!!!!!” 😀
Aaaaand here’s me in the fashion show! 😀
Unfocused picture, but here you can see my twirly skirt! 😀
“Frying pans….who knew, right?” 😉
It was SUPER windy, so by the end of the day my wig had taken a bit of a beating, but it was so fun! 😀
ALSO, funny thing, but on the way to the fair, I couldn’t fit the wig in a bag, so I had to just wear it with plain clothes (my dress was at the fair). 😛 I also made a Punzie crown (shameless plug for my Instagram 😉 ), but it ended up being too heavy to wear with the wig on short notice. Before I wear Rapunzel again, I’ll probably add some large combs to the crown and maybe even sew it down to the wig. 🙂
I hope you all enjoyed this post about my first big foray into wig styling! 😀 I have a post on how I made the dress coming up soon, along with some doll reviews (I have a Meeshell Mermaid who’s just dying to bust out of her box 😉 ).